Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in Western Ukraine. Its history dates back to March 15, 1940, when Stanislav Teacher Training Institute was established. Later, in 1950, it was renamed into Stanislav (since 1962 – Ivano-Frankivsk) Pedagogical Institute. In January, 1971 the institution was renamed after a famous Ukrainian writer Vasyl Stefanyk by the decree of the Council of Ministers of the USSR.
After the dissolution of the USSR, The Precarpathian University was founded on the base of Ivano-Frankivsk State Pedagogical Institute on August 26, 1992. On September 14, 2004 the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine awarded the University the national status, by its decree № 204.
Currently the University is a modern and powerful educational and scientific complex, which unites eight educational institutes, 6 faculties, 3 educational and consulting centers, 1 college, 11 research centers, Postgraduate Educational and Pre-university Training Center, Information Technology Center, the Center of Distance Learning and Knowledge Control, Teaching Management, Scientific and Research Department, Dendrological Park (Arboretum) and Botanical Garden.
• Rector – Tsependa Igor , Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor, Honorary Doctor of the University of Rzeszów (Poland, 2015), member of the Ukrainian Academy of Political Science.
• Vice-Rector for Research work – Zagorodniuk Andrii, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics, Professor.
• Vice-Rector for Scientific and Pedagogical work – Sharyn Sergii, Doctor of Physics and Mathematics.
• Vice-Rector for Scientific and Pedagogical work – Mykhailyshyn Galina , Doctor of Philosophy, Professor, Honored Worker of Education.
The central office of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is located at 57 Shevchenko st.,Ivano-Frankivsk. One can get to the University from the city railway station and the bus station by buses number 26,28,38,4.
Accommodation and Catering
The campus includes 6 dormitories for 2700 beds. Students and university staff can live there. The housing facilities are divided by a need-base formula.
Dormitories are in a proper condition with all modern conveniences: heating, running water, etc. One room can be shared by 2, 3 or 4 students. A skilled personnel provides repairing and maintenance helpfor residentsto make the living comfortable and enjoyable.Any dormitory room can be equipped with high speed internet.
The body of student self-governance coordinated by the students’ trade-union organization together with administration of the campus work at improving conditions of residence, conducting and organizing leisure time activities.
The cost ofa hostel accommodationincludes the cost ofits maintenanceand the cost ofmandatorypublic utilitiesprovided for the residents.
The history of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is the history of progress towards independence, national, cultural and spiritualrevival. To some extent it reflects the history of our country on the way to its statehood.
Galiciabecame a part of the USSR in September 1939. The positive outcome of this historical event was theunification of allUkrainianlandsin one state. It enabled thedevelopmentof public education. At that time the Precarpathian region faced a severe shortage of teaching staff. Therefore, local authorities asked the government of URSR to establish a Teacher Training Instituteand in January 1940 preparations for its opening began. As a result, on March 1 that year a new educational establishment opened its doors.
Three departments were created in the Institute: Department of History (Dean T.Velykyi), department of Physics and Mathematics (Dean M. Korol) and Philological department with two sub-departments – the Ukrainian Language and Literature and the Russian Language and Literature (Dean M. Shmulenzon).
Originally it did not have its own building. It was using the classroomsin the commercial school. Overcrowding, lack of training equipment and educational and methodological literature were the main obstacles on the way to a proper development of the Institute. Despite the difficulties the Institute actively pursued its activities. Before the war 900 future teachers studied there. However, with the Second World Warmany students and teachers went to fight, some of them were evacuated. In particular the first dean of the Philological Department L. Shmulenzon, teachers W. Chornyi, L. Berezin, I.Popovskii, L.Nasonovdiedin the battles somewhere between Zhitomir and Berdichev. The firstdean of the Faculty of History P.Velykyiwas killed at Stalingrad. The first director of the Institute F.Plotnytskii died in Gestapotorture chamberin Uman. Some of those who remained alive after the war continued to work in other institution sand establishments.
During theNazi occupation the Teacher Training Institutewas closed,its property was robbed and the school building was burnt. The amount of losses reached 3 mln. rubles. After the liberation of the land from the German in vaders the measures to restore the work of Stanislav Teacher Training Institute were taken. The first post war academic year began in Nov. 1, 1940in the building in Shevchenko Street.In July 1945 the first 13 graduates gained their diplomas of teachers. The 1945-1950 were the reconstruction years.
A new stage in the work of the educational institution began in the fifties. Stanislav Teacher Training Institute became the Pedagogical Institute according to the resolution of Council of Ministers of the USSR in August 4, 1950. The training of highly qualified teachers has started.
Unfortunately,the Institute could not avoid the domination of totalitarian regime that affected all aspects of the institute life.The declarations, ideology policies of the USSR had to beimplemented and reflected in the educational process.The staff of the Institute once again worked under difficult conditions because of the changes in curricula,temporary staff reduction. The Institute was preparing teachers of a broader qualification.In 1963 the General Scientific Faculty was created. It became the fourth one alongside with the History and Philology Department, Physics and Mathematics Faculty as well as the Faculty of the Methodology and Pedagogy of Primary Education. The main objective of the General Science Faculty was to provide higher education for part-time students so they could keep their jobs. Hundreds of students from the universities of Kyiv, Kharkiv, Lviv, Donetsk, Chernivtsi who lived and worked in Ivano-Frankivsk region enriched the number of the attenders of this faculty.
It is worth mentioning that scientific work was developing too. The Institute started to publish “The Memoirs” (since 1956). Twenty three dissertations were defended within a short period of time – from the date of the establishing of the institute to 1965. Obviously, this number wasn’t very impressive but it was legitimate for the developing of the educational institution.
The history of the Institute during the Soviet times had some other sad pages. In August and September 1965 the end of the “Khruschov’s thaw” period resulted in series of political arrests of the Ukrainian “dissidents of the sixties” who were speaking against russification policy, injustice, and stood up for thesovereignty of Ukraine. The arrests touched the professors of the Ivano-Frankivsk Pedagogical University too. Valentyn Moroz, Professor of Recent history, who had been working at the Institute for just a year was restrained by investigating authorities in August 31, 1965. The court held in Lutsk delivered the judgment: four years in a hard labor prison camp for his “anti-Soviet agitation and propaganda”. After being released in September 1969, he was restrained and imprisoned again for his new articles. Luckily, V. Moroz and four other dissidents were exchanged for two revealed in the USA soviet spies (1979). Abroad V.Morozdefended his doctorate dissertation.
The period of the late 1960s to the early 1980 of the XX century, its moral atmosphere, achievements and negative phenomena can be perceived differently. At the same time one definitely cannot say that the life of the Pedagogical Institute stopped developing. The process of raising new generations of teachers was going forward steadily.
V. Kravets (1957-1967), Candidate of Philosophy, assistant professor, O.Ustenko (1967-1980), Candidate of Economy, professor, I. Vasyuta (1980-1982), Doctor of History, professor, I. Kocheruk (1982-1986), Candidate of Physics and Mathematics, assistant professor were at the head of the Institute.
In 1966 the Music and Pedagogical Faculty which prepared teachers of music and singing art for secondary schools was established in the Institute. The Honoured Artist of the USSR, assistant professor V. Paschenko was the first dean of the department. Some important changed took place at other faculties too. Thus, in 1969 the Historical and Philological Faculty was divided into the Historical and Pedagogical Department and the Philological one. The first of the two offered its students not only the profession of a history and social study teacher but of a methodologist of the educational work as well.
A memorable date in the history ofIvano-Frankivsk Pedagogical Institute was January 5, 1971 when the name of the famous Ukrainian writer Vasyl Stefanyk was conferred to the establishment. Nowadays the Precarpathian National University uses it with honor.
In 1971 the Philology Department opened the specialty “the English Language” and in 1975 a new Faculty of Foreign Languages was established. Since 1977 graduate students have been given the qualification of a teacher of English and German.
At the beginning of Perestroika in the mid-1980s a new period in the life of the Institute began. In 1986 the Institute got a new rector Doctor of Philological Sciences, professor, V. Kononenko. He put much energy and efforts into the development and transformation of the Institute into a modern European educational establishment, authoritative scientific centre.
First of all, the material and technical basis of the institute strengthened. The new building for classrooms, the concert hall and the library with its fund which comprised more than 500 000 volumes started operating. In 1988 the doors of the eight-stores building of Humanitarian faculties were opened for students. An active process of updating the content of higher education, searching for new and more effective teaching methods has begun.In 1987 Graphic Art Department was designed that trained teachers of Fine Arts, Drawing and Manual Training.
The proclamation of Ukrainian Independence and the development of national statehood created new conditions for the development of the educational system, including higher education. New tasks were given to teachers and scientists. It was necessary to provide residents with wider, thorough education which could meet standards of the modern life. This was possible only at a classical university. That’s why the teaching staff of the Institute submitted the application for getting a new status, the status of a university, to the first President of Ukraine L. Kravchuk. On September 26, 1992 L. Kravchuk signed the decree on the reorganization of Ivano-Frankivsk State Pedagogical Institute into Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian University. At that time the educational establishment with its scientific potential occupied one of the leading places among the pedagogical institutions in Ukraine. Educational activities and research work were done by 240 staff members, among them there were 20 Doctors of Sciences, professors, 181 Candidates of Sciences, associate professors at 36 departments. Most of them had already worked according to university standards, had provided much deeper knowledge than the Pedagogical Institute had required. The student staff included 3950 full-time students and 2400 part-time students.
The development of the educational establishment in the status of university gained momentum.
1994 – Department of Regional Problems of the Institute of Political and Ethnic Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine and VasylStefanykPrecarpathian University was created.
1996 – Research Institute of Ukrainian Studies was established.
1999 – Institute of Physics and Chemistry; Institute and Pedagogical College were opened for work in Kolomyia.
1997 – On a five-year period of its existence in independent Ukraine our University was training 7 000 students and Junior Specialists in 22 specialties.
New faculties were established: Law, Economics, Philosophy, Natural Sciences, Preparatory Courses. New specialties were introduced because of lack of professionals in the region: Jurisprudence, Finance and Credit, Accounting and Auditing, Psychology, Religious Studies, Polish language and literature, Chemistry, Biology, Decorative and Applied Arts, Design, Social Pedagogy.
2001 – Faculty of Pedagogy was reorganized into Institute of Pedagogy. Faculties of Graphic Arts and Musical Pedagogy were reorganized into Institute of Culture and Arts – later into the Institute of Arts.
In 2002 Law Institute established on the basis of the Faculty started its work and a year later first students were admitted to the Institute of Tourism.
Considering the significant contribution of the Precarpathian University to the preparation of highly qualified specialists, fruitful scientific and educational work of the teaching staff, on 21 August 2004 Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian University got a status of a national one by the Presidential Decree №958 of 21 August 2004 and by the Decree of Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine №718 of 13 September 2004.
In 2005 Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor B.Ostafiichuk was elected as rector of the University. That year the Computer Maintenance Department was established in the University Scientific Library; the Institute of History and Political Science started its work at the Faculty of History. The Scientific and Research Laboratory was established at the Department of Physical Rehabilitation of the Faculty of Physical Education and Sports. A separate division of the University – Law College – was established a year later. The Publishing and Information Department started its work as a part of the Centre for Information Technology; the Department of Labour, Environmental and Agricultural Law was established at Law Institute; the Department of Statistics and Higher Mathematics was established at the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science. In 2008 the University founded the Centre for Bell Tolling and the Scientific and Research Centre “Psychology of Personality Development.”
In 2009 the Scientific and Educational Centre “Nanomaterials in Generating and Energy Storage Devices” was established on the basis of the Precarpathian National University with the assistance of U.S. Agency for International Development (CRDF) and the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine within the framework of Bilateral Cooperation Program in Scientific and Technical Research and Education (CREST). Financing of the Centre was provided by CRDF and the Ministry of Education and Science on a parity basis. The Centre is the first to be supported by the U.S. Agency for International Development. The program aimed to accelerate Ukraine’s transition to knowledge economy on the basis of science and higher education strengthening in Ukraine.
In 2010 the Statistical Analysis Laboratory was established; the Department of Tourism and Tourism Specializations started its work at the Institute of Tourism; the Institute of History and Political Science established the Department of Foreign Languages and Translation and the Room of Numismatics. The Centre for Innovation Activity and Technology Transfer started its work as a part of the Scientific and Research Unit of the University. Sports Complex “Olympus” was opened. The Educational and Scientific Laboratory of Carbon Nanomaterials and Supercapacitors was established a year later.
In April 2012 Doctor of Political Sciences, Professor I. Tsependa was elected as a rector of the University. The educational and scientific base of the University, its scientific potential began to increase, there appeared new educational divisions, courses and specialties at the University and the number of students began to grow. That year, in May, the Department of Life Safety was established. The Department of Educative Work was reorganized into the Department of Educative, Psychological and Educational Work. Educational and Scientific Institute of Postgraduate Education and Distance Learning was established. The Licensing and Accreditation Department started its work; a separate division of Ivano-Frankivsk College of SHEI “Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University” was established.In addition two international projects were implemented successfully: the establishment of the International University Centre of the Ukrainian-Polish Youth in the village Mykulychyn, Nadvirna District; there novation of the unique high-altitude Observatory on Mount Pip Ivan done on the EU funds.
The year of 2014 opened the educational scientific laboratory of biological ecology at the Institute of Natural Sciences as well asembodiedNational Contact Points (NCPs) of EU Horizon 2020 programs for “Nanotechnologies, advanced materials and advanced modern production”. The Department of Journalism was created at the Institute of Philology in 2014.
The monument to Roman Huryk was unveiled on October 14, 2014 at the University campus. The student of the Department of Philosophy was killed in February 2013 in Kiev during the Revolution of Dignity.
Today educational and scientific work is carried out by 1003 full-time lecturers in 80 departments, among them 108 doctors of science, professors, 635 candidates of sciences, associate professors. There are 3 Academicians of the State Academies of Sciences of Ukraine,1 Corresponding Member of the NAS of Ukraine,1 corresponding member of the Academy of Arts of Ukraine, 3 National Artists of Ukraine, 10 Honoured Artists of Ukraine, 16 Honoured workers of Culture of Ukraine, 13 Honoured workers of Science and Technology of Ukraine, 5 Honoured workers of Arts of Ukraine, 9Honoured workers of Education of Ukraine, 1 Honoured worker of Higher School of Ukraine, 7 Honoured lawyers of Ukraine, 3 Honoured painters of Ukraine, 1 Honoured economist of Ukraine, 3 Honoured workers of Physical Culture and Sports of Ukraine, 3 Honoured trainers of Ukraine, 8 Honoured Masters of Sports of Ukraine.
There is a postgraduate course in 54 specialities for a Doctor of Philosophy Degree and a Doctor of Science Degree in 7 specialities. About 16 thousand students are trained in 15 directions and 48 specialities for Junior Specialist, Bachelor’s and master’s degrees. For the time of its activity the University has trained more than 140 thousand specialists.The University maintains close relations with many scientific and educational institutions of the world, prepares and implements joint research programs.
Today the University has seven leading scientific schools: the Research School of Physical and Chemical Problems of Materials Study of Thin Films, the School of Magnetism and Nanotechnologies, the Precarpathian History School, the History of Education and Pedagogical Thought in Galicia, the Problems of Semantic Syntax, the Precarpathian Practical Academic School of Comparative Studies, Bioecology Scientific School “Mountain Forestry and Bioindication”.
2012 – Tsependa Igor Yevhenovych
2005-2012 – Ostafiychuk Bogdan Kostyantynovych
1986-2004 – KononenkoVitalijIvanovych
1982-1986 – Kucheruk Ivan Metrofanovych
1980-1982 – Vasyuta Ivan Kyrylovych
1967-1980 – Ustenko Olexandr Andriyovych
1957-1967 – Kravets Vasyl Musiyovych
1956-1957 – Shevchenko Ivan Hryhorovych
1953-1956 – Hrechuhk Hryhoriy Teodorovych
1950-1953 – Shvetsov Kostyantyn Ivanovych
1949-1950 – Buyalo Viktor Andriyovych
1945-1949 – Bozhko Trokhym Zakharovych
1940-1941 – Plotnytsky Fedir Ivanovych
Institutes and faculties
INSTITUTES, FACULTIES AND SPECIALTIES
Institute of History, Political Science, and International Relations
Chair of Political Science
Chair of Political Institutions and Processes
Chair of Ethnology and Archeology
Chair of International Relation
Chair of World History
Chair of History of Ukraine
Chair of History of Slavs
Chair of Historiography and Source Studies
Chair of Foreign Languages and Translation
Institute of Natural Sciences
Chair of Anatomy and Human and Animal Physiology
Chair of Inorganic and physical chemistry
Chair of Biology and Ecology
Chair of Organic and Analytic Chemistry
Chair of Forest Studies
Chair of Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Chair of Agrochemistry and Soil Studies
Chair of Geography and Natural Studies
Institute of Tourism
Chair of Tourism Management and Socio-Cultural Activities
Chair of Tourism and Regional Studies
Chair of Foreign Languages and Country Study
Chair of Hotel and Restaurant Business
Institute of Arts
Chair of Musicology and Music Education Methods
Chair of Theory and History of Performing Art
Chair of Academic and Pop Singing
Chair of Chorus Conducting named after Vasyl Yizhak
Chair of Folk Instruments and Musical Folklore
Chair of Theatrical and Chorographical Art
Chair of Decorative and Applied Art
Chair of Fine Arts and M. Figol Restoration
Chair of Design and Art Theory
Institute of Law
Chair of Theory and History of Law and State
Chair of Criminal Law
Chair of Civil Law
Chair of Legal Proceedings
Chair of Labor, Ecological and Agrarian Law
Chair of Constitutional, International and Administrative Law
Chair of Philology
Chair of Pedagogy and Psychology
Chair of Social, Economic and Natural Disciplines
Institute of Philology
Chair of Ukrainian Language
Chair of Ukrainian Literature
Chair of World Literature and Comparative Literature Studies
Chair of Slavonic Language
Chair of General and German Language Studies
Chair of journalism
Institute of Pedagogy
B. Stuparyk Chair of Pedagogy
Chair of Philology and Methodology of Elementary Education
Chair of Theory and Methodology of Pre-school and Remedial Education
Chair of Mathematical and Natural Disciplines of Elementary Education
Chair of Theory and Methodology of Elementary Education
Chair of Social Pedagogy and Social Work
Chair of Art Disciplines of Elementary Education
Faculty of Philosophy
Chair of Pedagogic and Age Psychology
Chair of General and Clinical Psychology
Chair of Philosophy and Psychology
Chair of Religion Studies, Theology and Cultural Studies
Chair of Social Psychology
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science
Chair of Differential Equations and Applied Mathematics
Chair of Mathematical and Functional Analysis
Chair of Information Science
Chair of Statistics and Higher Mathematics
Chair of Algebra and Geometry
Chair of Informational Technologies
Faculty of Foreign Languages
Chair of English Philology
Chair of German Philology
Chair of Foreign Languages
Chair of French Philology
Faculty of Physics and Technology
Chair of Computer Engineering and Electronics
Chair of Theoretical and Experimental Physics
Chair of Materials Science and Latest Technologies
Chair of Physics and Chemistry of Solids
Faculty of Economics
Chair of Finance
Chair of Accounting and Audit
Chair of Management and Marketing
Chair of Economic Cybernetics
Chair of Theoretical and Applied Economics
Faculty of Physical Education and Sports
Chair of Theory and Methods of Physical Training and Sports
Chair of Sport and Pedagogic Disciplines
Chair of Physical Rehabilitation
Educational and Research Institute of Postgraduate Education and Distance Learning
Chair of Management and Business Administration
The Scientific Library
The Scientific Library of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University was founded in 1944. In 2000 the library received the status of the scientific institution. It has a substantial and unique informational fund (more than 600000 books in Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, English, French, German, Chinese, Czech, Spanish and other languages, 20000 musical publications, 50000 periodicals, authors’ abstracts, dissertations and graduation projects), an integrated electronic catalogue, electronic database.
The library consists of five departments:
Scientific and Educational Literature Department;
Acquisition and Scientific Processing Department;
Information and Bibliography Department;
Scientific and Methodological Department;
Information Technology and Computer SoftwareDepartment.
Readers have also access to 16 reading rooms with the capacity of 980 seats, 2 circulation desks, 4 library departments in Kolomyia, Kalush, Rakhiv, Chortkiv.
The Information and Bibliography Department is the main library information center that offers access to catalogues, indexes, bibliographic description. The reference fund of the Department contains more than 6 thousand copies.
In October 2005 the Automated Library System “UFD/Biblioteka” was purchased. Its goal is to create a unified automated bibliographic information system. Since 2008 a Scientific Library Website has been operating. Thus users can get certain information about the divisions and units of the library, find useful information for teaching and research activities. In particular, permanent access to the electronic library catalogue is available via the Internet. Using the local network and the library website you can obtain access to the electronic library and thus – to full-text scientific, educational and methodical publications by the scholars of the University. There is an opportunity to provide Interlibrary Loan Service and Electronic Document Delivery. Students can also use Ivano-Frankivsk Region Libraries services.
There is a virtual bibliographical reference with the help of which queries are performed every day according to the mode of admission. The electronic reading room is equipped with 25 workplaces where visitors have access to the fund of electronic documents and local databases. In the reading halls book exhibitions are on display; literary soirées, round tables, readers’ conferences are organized. The Library staff provides methodical current advice for first year, undergraduate and final year students.
The library opening hours: Mon – Sat: 10.00 am – 21.00 pm. Detailed information:http://lib.pu.if.ua/
SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS OF THE STATE HIGHER EDUCATIONAL ESTABLISHMENT (SHEE) «VASYL STEFANYK PRECARPATHIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY»
Journal of VasylStefanykPrecarpathian National University http://journals.pu.if.ua/index.php/jpnu
Ukrainian Carpathian Mountain School http://mountainschool.pu.if.ua/
“Physics and Chemistry of Solid State” http://www.pu.if.ua/inst/phys_che/start/pcss/
Carpathian Mathematical Publications http://journals.pu.if.ua/index.php/cmp
Journal of Precarpathian University. Section: Physical Training http://visnykfc.pnu.edu.ua/
Regional Economy Modeling http://journals.pu.if.ua/index.php/mre/index
Collection of Scientific Publications: Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology http://www.journals.pu.if.ua/index.php/psp
Actual Problems of Improving Current Legislation of Ukraine http://law.pu.if.ua/uk/science/129-akt-probl.html
Journal of Precarpathian University.Politology http://www.pu.if.ua/depart/Political/ua/4558/
Journal of Precarpathian University. Section: Art http://visnyk-art-pu.wix.com/visnyk-art-pu-if-ua
Journal of Precarpathian University. Section: History http://visnykpnu.wix.com/site
Journal of Precarpathian University. Section: Biology http://www.pu.if.ua/depart/Biology/ua/4655/
Educational Area of Ukraine http://www.pu.if.ua/depart/Esu_journal/ua/
Journal “Carpathians: a Human, Tthnos, Civilization” http://carpathiansjournal.webnode.com.ua/
In order to implement the principles of the Bologna Declaration Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University draws particular attention to international cooperation, expands and improves its activity. To realize the plan about international cooperation in education, the University has made and continues to make a number of arrangements that prove its developing status in this sphere.
The University implies the following objectives:
– to cooperate with the most competitive universities in the Central and Eastern Europe;
– to implement great common projects so that to be recognized and to stand out among other universities;
– to provide students, postgraduates and lecturers’ exchanges with the universities of Europe and Asia in order to expand cooperation with foreign partners.
The setup of researches joint with international educational establishments is in the mainstream of the University activity.
It is important to note that Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University and Warsaw University (Poland) are among the creators of The Consortium between Warsaw University and 10 Ukrainian universities. Since 2014 the University has been a part of the Consortium of universities in Baltic region and Ukraine.
The University concluded 56 partnerships with different foreign educational and scientific establishments. A partnershipbetween academic and research institutes of the University of Warsaw, Jagiellonian University in Kraków, the Academy of Mining and Metallurgy in Kraków, the Pomeranian Academy in Slupsk, the Rzeszów University, the University of Vytautas the Great in Kaunas, the Latvian University, the Vilnius University, the University of Valencia, the University in Port, the Lund University, the University of Poitiers, the Tien Shan Classic University, the Charles University in Prague, the Brest State Technical University, the University of the Republic of San Marino, the Stefan cel Mare University of Suceava (Romania).
Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is a member of the following international associations and organizations: the European University Association (EUA) – Brussels, Belgium; the Eurasian Association of Universities (EAU) – Moscow, Russia.
The European Commission supported our University in implementing the following projects:
“The International Meeting Centre of Ukrainian and Polish students” (Warsaw, Poland, the University of Warsaw)
“The reconstruction of Astronomical Observatory on Mountain Pip Ivan” (Warsaw, Poland, the University of Warsaw).
Students of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University have the opportunity to take part in different international arrangements which the University suggests: trainings abroad, double diploma programs (International Relations, Science of Law, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Philosophy, Tourism, Primary Education, PhysicalTraining), participation in international conferences, students interchange, conducting scientific-research work at foreign educational establishments.
Within 2014-2015 the amount of assignments accomplished by the students and the faculty members abroad has increased in comparison with 2013-2014.
In addition the international authority of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is growing. The State and public institutions organize a range of international arrangements, sowith every year the number of official foreign visits is increasing.
Scientists successfully participate in different international scientific-educational projects. Besides, grant-providers promote the development of international cooperation. In particular, within the Cross-European Cooperation Program Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University has become a partner of the ProgramIANUSII-ErasmusMundus. It is carried out due to the financial support of The European Commission which provides mobility for students of bachelor and master programs, postgraduates, lecturers, EU universities collaborators and country-partners collaborators.
It’s important to point out that nowadays the university structural units actively participate in international projects and grants.
1. The Institute of Tourism – International Researching Project “National stereotypes: the Gypsy / Roma, Ukrainian, German і Pole”.
2. The Institute of Law – books exchange with the Library of the USA Congress.
3. The Institute of History, Politology and International Relations – Project “Huculszczyzna – antropologiczne obszary pamięci”; Grant “Narodowego Centrum Nauki: “Bukivna – elitarna nekropola kultury komarowskiej nad Dniestrem”. Sygnatura 2011/03/B/HS3/00839; “Volohyin the European and Polish area: migration – settlements – cultural heritage”.
4. The Institute of Natural Sciences – The Program “543707-TEMPUS-1-2013-1-DE-TEMPUS-JPHES – EcoBRU”, the Project – “Ecological Education for Belorussia, Russia and Ukraine”; the Program of Hungarian-Slovakian-Romanian-Ukrainian “Cooperation (ENPI Cross-Border Cooperation Program HUSKROUA) Project “Clear Air Control in Cross-Border district Romania-Ukraine”.
5. The Economy Department – The Cross-Border Project of Poland – Ukraine – Belorussia: “An initiative student is the energy-saving vector”; The Project “Gender Budgeting in Ukraine”; The Project “The support of Ministry of Finance for implementing gender-oriented budgeting in Ukraine”;”Berufliche und unternehmerischeSelbständigkeitdurch Entrepreneurship-Erziehung undGründungsberatung” – 544202-TEMPUS-2013-AT-JPHES (BUSEEG-RU-UA).544202-TEMPUS-1-2013-1-AT-TEMPUS-JPHES BUSEEG-RU-UA” – acquisition of professional skills by means of education and consultation of first-time entrepreneurs.
6. The Faculty of Physics and Technology–”Thermo Electric Materials And Devices For Energy Saving and Security Increase (NATO)”; NKP “Nanotechnology, modern materials and advanced industrial productions of the program “Horizon 2020”; “New Semiconducting Materials On The Basis Of Lead Telluride For The Thermoelectric Power Converters” (Turkey);”Technology and Physical and Chemical Properties of Thin Films and Filaments on The Basis of Lead Telluride for the Thermoelectric Power Converters” (Moldova).
7. The Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science –a common project NASU-RFBR № 09-01-14 “Geometrical Aspects of Theory of the Infinitely-Measurable Dynamic Systems”.
8. The Faculty of Philosophy – Polish-Ukraine religious and cultural relations in a historical and regional context.
9. The Faculty of Foreign Languages – “The Wide Spread Idiomsin Europe and Beyond” –publishing of two-volume monograph in the USA;German academic grant on participating in the International Germanists’ Congress in Shanghai (PR China).
The international activity of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian national University is a sign of reformation and modernization of the university. It allows the University to occupy one of the leading positions in the top list of the Ukrainian Universities and to be a dissent representative of Ukraine in the international educational arena.
- Mykhailo Frankovych Brodovych – Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Ukraine to Slovenia.
- Mykola Vehesh – Ukrainian historian. Doctor of Science (History, PhD). Professor. Rector of Uzhhorod National University. Member of Supervision Committee UYPO “Gifted Youth Union”.
- Bohdan Yosypovych Ptashnyk – Ukrainian Scientist. Mathematician. Doctor of Science (Physics and Mathematics, PhD). Corresponding Member of Ukrainian National Academy of Sciences.
- Dmytro Mykhailovych Freiik – Ukrainian Scientist in the field of semi-conducting material study. Doctor of Science (Chemistry, PhD).
Awards and reputation
In the Webometrics Ranking of World`s Universities among 21,964 universitiesour university took the 3508th place in the world,the 1106th place in Europe and the 22nd place in Ukraine.
In the project “Top 200 Ukraine” Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University took the 39thplace among 200 universities.In terms of higher education institutions of Ukraine according to the indicators of the Scientometric Scopus database our university took the 11thplace(January 2015). 120 universities of Ukraine were included in total rating.
Information educational resource “Osvita.ua” compiled consolidated rating of higher educationalinstitutions of Ukraine in 2014 where our University occupiedthe 19 th place.
Successful research projects in various fields of science confirm that Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University is the University of European standard.In particular, Professor V. Lushchak is included in the top hundred scientists of Ukraine (the 25th place). Among the young scientistsof Ukraine O. Lushchak takes the 11th place and A. Kubrak takes the 28thplace according to the Scientometric database Scopus.
US Ambassador JohnTefft welcomed the work of Vasyl Stefanyk Precarpathian National University
• Tempus Information Day in Ivano-Frankivsk and the ECTS and NLC seminar
• “You may not believe, but in 2015 an astronomical observatory on Pip Ivan will get a new life!”