Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical University was originally established in Kolozsvár, then in Austria-Hungary, later Romania, in 1872. After World War I, it was moved to Szeged. Since 1921 great advances have been made in the development of the University. Most of the University buildings have preserved their original, harmonized style, providing a true University atmosphere of tradition.
Setting and architecture
Preclinical departments of the Faculty of Medicine are situated around Cathedral (Dóm) Square. The University Hospitals, housing the clinical departments, occupy the land between the Cathedral and River Tisza, which is a calm, peaceful area of the old town. Some of the preclinical departments are accommodated in other buildings; however, even off-campus departments of the Medical University (such as Anatomy and Forensic Medicine) are within easy access from the city center (10 minutes by tram).
Many famous and world-renowned professors have been members of the Faculty, including:
- J. Ball ( pathology )
- B. Issekutz and M. Jancsó (pharmacology),
- D. Miskolczy ( neurology ),
- J. Rusznyák and G. Hetényi (internal medicine),
- G. Ivanovich ( microbiology ) and
- A. Szent-Györgyi (medical chemistry), – our University recently assumed his name – who was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1937 for his scientific achievements in biochemistry.
Among other notable scientific personalities the following renowned scientists have been honorary doctors of the university:
- Prof. S. Bonfils, Paris, France,
- Prof. L. Demling, Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany,
- Prof. E. Diczfalusy, Stockholm, Sweden,
- Prof. Földes, New York, United States,
- Prof. R. J. Gryglewski, Kraków, Poland,
- Prof. P. Janssen, Beerse, Belgium,
- Prof. H. Kala, Halle, Germany,
- Prof. K. Smith, Toronto, Ontario , Canada,
- Prof. E. Körber, Tübingen, Germany,
- Prof. W. Kreutzberg, Munich, Germany,
- Prof. J. M. Krueger, Pullman, USA,
- Prof. G. Lajtha, Manchester , England ,
- Prof. M. McMahon, Leeds, England,
- Prof. Sh. Massry, Los Angeles , USA,
- Prof. J. Nakamura, Missoula, USA,
- Prof. P. Pflegel, Greifswald , Germany,
- Prof. P. Rakic, New Haven, USA,
- Prof. J. Roelandt, Rotterdam, The Netherlands,
- Prof. H. L. Sheehan, Liverpool, England,
- Prof. B. F. Straub, Budapest, Hungary,
- Prof. T. Symington, London, England,
- Prof. D. De Wied, Utrecht, The Netherlands,
- Prof. J. R. Wolff, Göttingen, Germany.
Faculty of Pharmacy
The Faculty of Pharmacy was founded in 1957. Since 1921, more than 4000 pharmacists have received their diplomas (Master of Pharmacy) and 400 pharmacists have been awarded a university doctorate in pharmacy. In recent years, 94 foreign students from 24 countries have received pharmaceutical diplomas through government-sponsored exchange programs. A number of young foreign pharmacists currently take part in different post-graduate courses.
The Albert Szent-Györgyi Medical University is the regional center of health care for southern Hungary, offering wide-ranging cooperation and collaboration with surrounding hospitals and research institutes. As stated earlier the once independent university is now a faculty of the University of Szeged.